10 Questions with Tommy Cash, As He Releases His New EP ‘Moneysutra’
Tommy Cash is a bit odd, and he’d be the first person to tell you so. The Estonian rapper and visual artist has put out some of the wackiest – yet, brilliant – music videos in the last 10 years. Seriously, have you seen ‘Little Molly’? He’s bezzie mates with Rick Owens, and back in March, he put out a merch collection with Maison Margiela, unleashing bread-shaped slippers and vacuumed-packed noodles (yummy!) into the global stratosphere.
As well as cementing himself as fashion’s newest disrupter in recent months, Cash has also been working on his newest EP Moneysutra, which features Diplo, $uicideboys$ and Riff Raff. The high-octane, rave-rap that has defined Cash’s career thus far flourishes in Day-Glo hues, taking dark, twisted turns along the way, with lead single ‘Zuccenberg’ practically begging to be heard over a proper club PA system.
We thought, with the EP being released an all, it’d be apt timing to chuck a load of questions at Cash and see what stuck. Fancy knowing what Rick Owens smells like? Keep scrolling.
1. What makes your new EP the best music you’ve put out to date?
“Because I feel it contains the best rhymes and beats we have made till this day. And the project is most special because it contains collaborations with all these magical artists.”
2. You’re quite pally with Mr Rick Owens, what does he smell like?
“Rick smells minimal like water. He pretty much has 0% smell.”
3. Two years ago you were pictured in bed alongside Rick Owens and Michèle Lamy. Any other high profile celebs your planning to jump into the sheets with once the pandemic’s over?
“John Galliano is next!”
4. Your music videos are pretty mad, but what was the last thing you watched that properly freaked you out?
“Godzilla vs King Kong. It freaked me out how good it was! 10 out of 10!”
5. You recently put out a merch collection with Maison Margiela which featured bread slippers and vacuum-packed noodles. What sauce do you usually put on yours?
“I love spicy. Usually, I drown them in sriracha.”
6. What’s the weirdest thing a fan has ever done for you?
7. What was it like working with Diplo and Suicide Boys on ‘Zuccenberg’?
“Nothing to say. Still don’t believe that this song is real. Legends are legends. “
8. If you could put your head on someone else’s body for a day, who would it be and why?
“Kim K – I just wanna be thick for a day.”
9. What’s the best tune on your new EP and why?
“They are all beautiful but my 3 favs are Siri, Zucc and Racked. The energy is impeccable.”
10. If there was a ’Tommy Cash starter pack’, what would be on there?
“Virgin moustache, Adidas trousers, a horse, Persian carpet and a lot of stupid ideas.”
Photography by Felix Laasme. You can stream Tommy Cash’s ‘Moneysutra’ on all major platforms now.